Total Pageviews

Monday, April 4, 2011

Cake Decorator? More like Cake Destroyer!! A lot like Conan, just with more sugar.

Sunday my new to the family had a 13th Birthday. As in new his dad just married my niece. And she loves this new teenager to pieces. She as of yet doesn't have any kiddos, but she make up for it with her new Step-son, and I think he likes her just as much. Well, pretty much she is always calling me for advice, weddings, parenting, remolding, cooking, and so forth. Most of the time I think I give her bad/crappy advice, come who are we kidding my ideas, well they really aren't that great....hence the story coming up..... Well, she was asking how much cake she needed to buy for this x amount of people, blah blah....until she told the prices of the 2 from our local Superstore. $28-38 BUCKS!! For a crappy generic sheet cake??? Say whatttt??? I tell her you should just make a couple different boxes of cupcakes?? Way cheaper, and spend the extra dough you are saving on a cool present for him. Whaaa whhaaa I don't have time she says I work all weekend....crickets...Oh, I say I can do them I'm free all day Saturday no big deal, I can whoop out cupcakes in no time. Just bring me the mixes and since I have never made homemade icing I am going to experiment on these...bats eyelashes, how hard can it be? Yay she says, he likes KU and I bought 13 candles they won't fit on cupcakes, you think you make a smaller cake just for him? Umm starts to sweat. Absolutely!!

Fast forward to Saturday morning I call my friend who is majorly talented in the crafting of cakes and such...and know how to draw more than stick people, like myself. I say umm the icing recipe calls for a paddle piece on the mixer, is that a big deal if I don't have that? Ummm slightly, giggling. Well, my mixer which is a (ghetto) um less than stellar than most talented cake makers. I have wanted a Kitchen Aid for as long as I can remember. Been begging everyone with a heartbeat in my family for years. My mom bought the one I have now, it was a good deal, she only $14 a week for like 5 years out of Fingerhut. Oh mom, you so don't get it. But I love ya!!

So friend comes over brings the most aawesomeness Kitchen Aid mixer eva!!! It was black and big!! Ahh was was a real beaut. Loved her!!! My friend says to me agh it just sits in the cabinet, I brought all the attachment in case you talk me into leaving here with you for awhile????? WHATTTT!!???  No way could I keep that, if something happened to that thing I don't think my FingerHut one would suffice.

So we get going, oh did I mention I forgot the recipe at work? No problem I remember it, kinda.

Well I didn't remember that you needed to sift the powered sugar. Ughhh and that my friends is a major part of the equation. Oh and did I mention that I had to go buy gels instead of food coloring? Or the fact that I had no idea that you needed to put cakes in the freezer so much to frost? Or that you need to smooth down frosting with a warm water knife? OY OY!! Too much!!



It was a learning lesson and I may try again. Here are some crappy pics for you to giggle at, go ahead I did. And I also ate alot of grainy, buttery icing. Be jealous. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! I don't know how you say you don't have anything interesting to blog about, w/ 2 kids and a hubby?! There's always something going on I'm sure. I'm glad you like my blog, hope you can try out a few of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to hear what you thought about the french dip, I think it's so good! I would love to try out your recipe. Send it to me and If I like it ;) I'll share it and link it back to you!!! It sounds really good. The sun is finally shining here in UT! I'm loving it too!

    ReplyDelete